Updated Monday April 24, 2017 by MLL.
Kid Pitch Rules
Games/schedule: Scores and standings will be kept.
EACH TEAM MUST HAVE TWO PRACTICES EACH WEEK AND GAME ON SATURDAYS. HALF WAY THROUGH SEASON WILL CHANGE TO ONE PRACTICE AND ONE GAME DURING THE WEEK AS WELL AS A GAME ON SATURDAY. THE PRACTICES SHOULD TEACH EACH PLAYER FUNDENTALS: THROWING, FIELDING, HITTING AND UNDERSTANDING THE BASIC RULES OF BASEBALL.
- A playoff series will be scheduled. All teams will participate.
All Star Game:
- An all star game will be scheduled to be played at the end of the season.
- Players will be chosen by the coaches. At least 2 players from each team will be selected for the all-star team. Every team must be represented by at least two players. We encourage all Managers to help coach if possible.
See League Representative for assignments.
- 5 runs per half inning or 3 – outs whichever comes first. In the last half inning or extra innings there is no 5 – run rule.
- One base on an overthrow.
- Ground ball into outfield maximum double, but runner has to earn it, not automatic.
- Ball over outfielders head maximum triple, but runner has to earn it. Not automatic.
- Ball thrown in from outfield is dead when reaches infield.
- NO STEALING. NO BUNTING. No leading (runners must be on base at time ball is hit)
- Everyone in field unless there’s a big imbalance between the teams.
The batting order is set for the first game and is continuous throughout the season. The batting order is continuous from game to game which to allow equal at bats for all players throughout the season. Each player bats in order even though he/she may not have played the field that inning. Maximum of 9 batters per inning or 3 outs, whichever comes first. Allowed to change batting order once after the All Star break.
- Equal playing time in the field for all players.
- No player should sit out two innings in a row.
- 10 - Players are allowed on the field, four outfielders and 6 infielders
- It is recommended that each child play one outfield and one infield position. The child's ability should be taken into consideration when determining positions (e.g. a child that has difficulty catching the ball should not be positioned at first base for safety reasons).
- Little League pitch count rules as stated in the rules book will be in effect for the season. First half of the season - three innings coach pitch, three innings kid pitch. The second half of the season six innings kid pitch (coaches discretion).
- It is recommended that at least 3 - pitchers be used over the course of a six inning game, with no player pitching more than 2 innings per game.
- Pitcher has 3 ft. leeway from 45'6" mound to home plate at the discretion of the umpire.
- Little League pitch count rules will be followed. During the regular season each team must keep the pitch counts, using an assistant coach or parent. The teams are encouraged to compare pitch counts between innings to avoid disputes.
- Pitcher cannot have distracting clothing or equipment, e.g., no batting glove hanging out of back pocket, etc. Different color batting glove under catching glove is permitted, just not white, grey, or optic yellow permitted.
- Ball is dead when in pitcher’s possession on the mound, (i.e., when the pitcher has possession of the ball on the dirt within a three-foot radius of the rubber) - Runner/s may not advance.
- Once the pitcher is removed he or she can not go back into the game as a pitcher. The player may only go into the field or sit on the bench.
- "Base on Balls" 4 Balls is a walk. Can’t get a walk with bases loaded.
- -One coach may assist players with field positioning. Once players are set in position, coach should position himself/herself behind the outfielders.
- -Only adults (coaches or parents) may coach the bases.
- -The team playing the field should have an adult (coach or parent) positioned behind the catcher for passed balls and wild pitches. The adult can throw the ball directly back to the pitcher.
- Only the player batting is allowed to have a bat in his or her hand. No on deck batter allowed (little league rule).
- A "Reduced Injury Factor" (RIF) ball must be used in all games. Tennis balls and/or other soft practice balls (e.g., newspaper wrapped in tape) may be used in practice for teaching purposes; but it these should be used as teaching tools as the children learn new skills and get used to playing with the RIF ball
- One teenage umpire will be assigned to each game. There will be ABSOLUTELY no arguing with the umpires. If there is an issue please discuss with umpire after the ½ inning is over. Do not make a scene or embarrass the kid umpires. No tolerance rule.
- The Home Team coach is responsible for paying the umpire. Cash Only!
- Umpires decisions are final.
- If umpire does not show up, a coach for the team that is batting should call balls and strikes.
Pick draft order out of hat. Serpentine order for picks. #1- #8 pick and then reverse order #8 - #1 pick. Mangers and assistant coaches’ kids will be slotted according to ability prior to selecting rest of team. Teams are allowed only one assistant coach per team. Pool top 12 – players. Each team guaranteed 3 – of the top 12 – players.